Salary: £31,931 to £34,709 per annum (dependent on skills and experience). A specialist allowance of up to £3000 per annum is also available for this role.
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, UK Astronomy Technology Centre, Edinburgh.
We currently looking to recruit an engineer with an understanding of systems engineering practice to join our team at the UK Astronomy Technology Centre (UK ATC) in Edinburgh. You will be working on instruments for the world’s largest ground-based optical and infrared telescope and a variety of smaller ground and space based instrumentation projects.
About this opportunity:
You will be part of the Project Management Team of one or two development projects. This role will involve being responsible for the requirements engineering, overall system design and assembly, through to final installation, commissioning and delivery of our astronomical and scientific products. Working as a key member of the team, you will have the opportunity to innovate and develop new technical solutions. This opportunity will provide you with considerable scope to be creative. Further responsibilities will include:
- Development of the overall system architecture.
- Application of end-to-end systems analysis and modelling and the subsequent allocation and management of technical budgets/tolerances.
- Installation and commissioning of products at deployment centres, typically observatories, with opportunities for overseas travel.
- Conduct technical risk and safety assessments.
We are looking for someone with:
- Excellent analytics and technical problem solving skills.
- A degree in a relevant engineer subject area, or equivalent.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in order to collaborate with our wide range of national and international project partners.
- Knowledge of a wide range of technologies.
We are offering a permanent position that provides a whole host of benefits including; 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are invested in creating an environment that is welcoming and supportive of all, to help us achieve the highest possible standards in our work and organisation together. In this regard, we encourage applications from under-represented groups.
How to apply:
In your application please provide a CV and a Cover Letter which details your experience in relation to the criteria for this role. Closing Date: 3rd October 2021.