IRAM is an international research institute and Europe’s leading center for radioastronomy at millimeter wavelengths. It is supported by the CNRS (France), the Max-Planck Gesellschaft (Germany), and the IGN (Spain). Its mission is to explore the universe, study its origins and its evolution. The institute, headquartered in Grenoble, employs more than 120 scientists, engineers, technicians and administrative staff. The organization operates two world-class research facilities, the IRAM 30-meter telescope in Spain, and NOEMA, the largest millimeter interferometer of the northern hemisphere in the French Alps.
(More information on IRAM)
IRAM is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of a Linux System Engineer to strengthen its Computer department in Grenoble. This group, made up of a team of 6 persons, is responsible for providing all the computing resources (computing, network and storage) necessary for astronomical observations.
Main tasks :
The Linux System Engineer will be responsible for the management and evolution of the Linux and VMware systems:
- Deploy, operate and optimize Linux systems design,
- Deploy, operate and optimize VMware clusters
- Ensure a technological watch and a follow-up of the upgrading of versions
- Analyze and resolve anomalies
- Provide supervision and monitoring of the systems
- Maintain and optimize intranet web applications (redmine, gitlab, wordpress, etc.)
- Assist scientific users
You are a graduate engineer ("Master degree") in computer science, you have ideally 3 years of experience in similar tasks and have a good level of English.
A very good knowledge of the Linux system and virtualization is needed. Good knowledge of information systems security, as well as good knowledge of the telecommunications network (IP) would be an additional asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Linux operating systems.
- Advanced knowledge of system supervision and service tools.
- Advanced knowledge of Bash and Python scripting.
- Advanced knowledge of good safety practices (network administration, proxy ...).
- Knowledge of network administration.
- Knowledge of VMWare virtualization technologies.
- Knowledge of the deployment, configuration and optimization of applications such as: Apache, MySQL, Bind9, Ansible, RubyOnRails, etc ...
- Driver's license
- Ability to work in high mountainous site (3000m)
- Main assets
- Sense of organization, rigor and capacity to synthesize
- Dynamism, pragmatism
- Interpersonal skills, oral and written communication
- Capacity for innovation and initiative
- Autonomy, ability to work alone as well as in a team.
The position is a permanent contract and the salary offered will depend on your qualifications and experience.
The workplace is Grenoble with occasional trips to the NOEMA observatory in the Hautes-Alpes.
If you are interested in working in one of the most advanced millimeter radio astronomy observatories in Europe, send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is to be filled as soon as possible.