Bates College invites applications for an open rank faculty position, broadly defined, to encompass any STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) discipline at Bates. The successful candidate will demonstrate expertise in supporting the success of students from underrepresented groups, in addition to commitment to excellence and innovation in both teaching and scholarship.
Bates College is a small residential liberal arts college that offers majors in the STEM departments of Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics and Astronomy, as well as the interdisciplinary programs of Environmental Studies and Neuroscience. The position is open to applicants at the Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor rank. The candidate will teach in the department or program of appointment, develop a strong research program, mentor undergraduate thesis students, and participate in our work to strengthen the success of students in sciences, and mathematics, acknowledging barriers connected to identities of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, disability, first generation to college, and all possible intersections thereof. The committee welcomes candidates with any research focus, including applications from scholars who study the efficacy of undergraduate science and math education.
Bates is committed to enhancing the diversity of the campus and the curriculum. We seek applications from individuals with the ability to contribute to the college’s efforts to advance social and cultural diversity, inclusiveness, and the transformative power of our differences. The search committee expects applicants to identify their strengths and experiences in these areas, and to describe the ways in which their research, teaching, and experience will contribute to equity and inclusion in STEM fields.
Review of applications begins January 10, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. A PhD in a STEM field is expected.
Applications should include the following:
- Cover letter that addresses what interests you about working at a small, residential, liberal arts college
- A current CV
- A statement describing your teaching plans and philosophy
- A statement of proposed research that will be evaluated by a committee of faculty members from many STEM disciplines
- A statement describing how your teaching and/or research will support the institutional commitment to enhance social and cultural diversity and inclusivity
- Graduate school transcripts
- Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide letters of recommendation from three referees, at least one of which will discuss the applicant’s role as an active participant in efforts to support student success.
Bates is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Because the college recognizes that employment decisions often involve two careers, Bates welcomes applications for shared positions. Employment is contingent on successful completion of a background check. For more information about the college, please visit the Bates website: www.bates.edu