As an Astronomer, the candidate will assist the Meteoroid Environment Office (MEO), located within the MSFC Natural Environments Branch/EV44, in defining the meteoroid environment as it pertains to spacecraft design and risk. The candidate will carry out fundamental/original research in the meteor/meteoroid discipline, develop software and tools to analyze meteor-related data, conduct any required astronomical observations, and respond with quick-turnaround analyses of bright meteor events (“skyfalls”) occurring over the United States.
Duties will include the following:
- Developing, and assisting in the development of, models pertaining to the meteoroid environment, including meteor showers.
- Analyzing observational data collected from telescopes, cameras, radiometers or other instrumentation.
- Conducting observations of lunar impact flashes, meteors, and their parent bodies.
- Presenting results to the NASA customer and at conferences.
- Publishing results in the appropriate journals.
- Delivering quick-turnaround characterizations of skyfall events to the MEO customer.
- Must have received a Doctorate degree in Astronomy, Physics, or similar field from an accredited institution, along with having at least five years’ experience in said fields.
- The successful candidate must:
- Have at least 2 first author publications in a peer-reviewed journal
- Have extensive experience in at least two programming languages, and be willing to work in Python and/or C/C++
- Have some background in computer science (multiple computer science classes preferred)
- Have some experience in operating telescopes or observational astronomy coursework.
- Demonstrate strong technical writing and presentation skills in order to present data to internal and external customers.
- Have strong customer relations skills - Have the ability to multi-task and transition between quick turnaround assignments.
- Show initiative and be proactive to make connections and build relationships with key players on the tasks.
- Demonstrate the capability to plan and perform analyses independently and within a team
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Jacobs is a background screening, drug-free workplace.
To create an account and apply to open positions, visit www.Jacobs.com.
- Search Jacobs jobs
Search Career Opportunities by:
- Key Word: JSEG
- Location: Huntsville, AL
- Apply to Positions
For more information on why Huntsville is known as “one of the smartest cities in the nation”, check out these websites: