Webb Application Services Branch (WASABI) Team
Bring your passion for what you do and join the Science Operations and Engineering Division (SCOPE) team at the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI). STScI is the science operations center for several NASA missions. SCOPE is responsible for preparing, planning, and scheduling the science, engineering and calibration observations for the Hubble Space Telescope (HST), the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), and Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope (Roman), launching in the mid-2020s. You will work with a team that is passionate about the work they do in supporting scientific discovery by astronomers from around the world.
This position can support hybrid work – you can work from home and report onsite as needed. Candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to our local market. (MD, DE, VA, PA, DC & WV). Relocation assistance provided.
Webb Application Services Branch (WASABI) Team
This position will provide you the opportunity to spend part of your time as the WASABI Team Manager where you will provide leadership, supervision, staff development, and mentorship to a diverse team of software engineers and test engineers. The other part of your time will be spent as the WASABI team lead where you will have the opportunity to provide technical direction and act as a project engineer for the team. We are looking for a strong background in software application development and staff management.
The WASABI team is responsible for the development, design, support and operational maintenance of 8 web applications used by JWST/HST/Roman. These applications support the following activities:
- Supports the management, review and selection of science programs that will be executed on the observatory.
- Supports the peer review of science programs to be executed on the observatory to ensure the health and safety of the science instruments and to maximize science return.
- Manages the profiles and accounts of the scientific community associated with the HST/JWST/Roman mission.
- Manages the NASA science grants for the US astronomical community, and the financial review process of the NASA science grants.
- Supports the annual science staff evaluation.
Webb Application Services Manager/Lead Job Responsibilities.
- Manage a diverse team of software and test engineers working in an agile environment.
- Evolve tools to meet the current and future needs of the astronomical community.
- Provide project management including coordination, planning, and progress reporting.
- Provide functional management including recruitment, mentorship, and career development.
- Establish goals and track expected results to completion.
- Develop, maintain, and support continuous improvement activities.
- Support a broad community of operations and science users.
- Provide technical direction and leadership to the team.
QUALIFICATIONS & JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- BS/BA in Engineering, Computer Science, Astronomy, Physics, or a related scientific or technical field.
- 10+ years of progressive technical, management, and leadership experience including team leadership and software development.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff developing and delivery software applications.
- Software engineering experience including agile techniques.
- Demonstrated experience with modern software techniques such as automated testing, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD).
- Experience designing, developing, and testing web applications.
- Interfacing with a relational database.
- Issue tracking and reporting tools such as Jira.
- Good working knowledge of code versioning tools such as Git.
- Demonstrated highly effective communication skills.
- Experience understanding and managing customer needs and expectations.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- US citizen or Permanent Resident.
- MS/MA or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Astronomy, Physics, or a related scientific or technical field.
- Knowledge of astronomy.
- Experience with working to accessibility and security compliance standards.
Candidates must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident. ITAR clearance is required.
To Apply: Share your experience by completing an on-line application. Please upload a cover letter and resume on one PDF document for review. Application received by October 6, 2023 will receive full consideration.
Direct link to apply: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SPA1004AURA/JobBoard/93330e50-7b3a-4ba8-...
STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We strongly encourage women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at [email protected] EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
As a leader in the astronomical community, AURA is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential. #LIHYBRID
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)