South African Radio Astronomy Observatory
Call for Applications for Postdoctoral Fellowships Commencing in 2021
APPLICATION FORMS AVAILABLE AT: : https://nrfsubmission.nrf.ac.za/nrfmkii/
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for five
postdoctoral fellowships, commencing in 2021.
For 2021, SARAO will consider post-doctoral applications that focus on observational research programmes,
which utilise key existing radio astronomy instruments located in South Africa. These include MeerKAT, HERA,
C-BASS, early versions of HIRAX, and HartRAO facilities (including astrometry and geodesy
applications). Amongst these, MeerKAT is the highest priority area. (Other relevant research may be
1. Applicants for SARAO Postdoctoral Fellowships must have been active in research since obtaining their doctoral
degree. In the case of a break in research, an applicant must have obtained his/her Doctoral degree on, or after, 30
2. SARAO postdoctoral fellowships are only tenable at South African universities, and successful applicants must
commence with their postdoctoral fellowships in South Africa on, or before, 1 October 2021.
3. SARAO postdoctoral fellowships are awarded for a period of three years.
4. The current value of a SARAO postdoctoral fellowship is ZAR 410,000 per annum (non-taxable). (Please note that the
current value of the postdoctoral fellowship may be adjusted in 2021, to account for annual inflation changes.) The
fellowship is supplemented by travel and equipment grants.
5. There is NO relocation grant for SARAO postdoctoral fellowships, and successful applicants may NOT use their
postdoctoral fellowship travel grants to cover the costs of their relocation to South Africa.
6. All applications must be endorsed by a host/supervisor, at the university in South Africa where the fellowship will
be undertaken. A list of supervisors who have indicated that they are willing to host SARAO post-doctoral fellows in
2021 is provided in the application guide, which is on the online application system. Applicants are required to
investigate the research specialisations of the individual hosts and institutions to inform their choices, and match
their own strengths and interests. Applicants must contact the respective hosts to discuss the willingness of a host to
endorse the application, and to discuss and draft a research project and implementation plan, for submission as part
of the application.
Queries with regards to the application requirements or the application procedure, may be directed to:
Dr. Mthuthuzeli Zamxaka: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Telephone: +27(11) 442-2434