We seek an outstanding and enthusiastic scientist to lead and coordinate public outreach and education activities in astrophysics in our department. Main responsibilities will be related to our historic telescope infrastructure, the museum including the rare book collection, and the mobile planetarium. Tasks include organisation of public outreach activities, guided tours to the infrastructure, contact to the media, as well as the coordination of teaching activities.
Initially this position is to be filled for one year. By mutual agreement it can be extended to a permanent contract. Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
1) Maintaining and managing the use of the historic telescope infrastructure, the museum, the rare book collection of our library, and the mobile planetarium;
2) Managing and executing the communication of our activities to the scientific community and the general public, including overseeing and developing of our website, organising guided tours, public talks, and outreach events;
3) Contributing continuously to the scientific profile of the University of Vienna in the field of Astrophysics by conducting own research activities leading to scientific publications;
4) Supporting the coordination of teaching for bachelor and master students;
Further responsibilities include:
5) Conducting independent teaching (in agreement with the collective bargaining agreement);
6) (Co-)Supervising students on own research interests and activities;
7) Contributing to general organisational and administrative tasks as well as evaluation procedures.
DOCTORAL / PHD degree in astronomy or astrophysics, and several years of experience in public outreach activities. Very good command of written and spoken ENGLISH AND GERMAN!
Excellent communication skills, leadership qualities, good team-working ability, experience in student supervision.
Applications should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 27.02.2020 (EXTENDED), mentioning reference number 10486. Your application should include a letter of motivation, a curriculum vitae (with a list of publications and presentations) and a statement of previous relevant experience including public outreach and education activities. Please also give names and contact details of 3 persons that can provide a recommendation letter.