The Center for High Angular Resolution Astronomy (CHARA) at Georgia State University (GSU) is seeking applicants for an Assistant Site Manager (Mechanical Engineer I) position. CHARA operates the CHARA Array, an optical/IR, long baseline interferometer located at Mount Wilson Observatory (www.chara.gsu.edu). The Assistant Site Manager is responsible for servicing and repairing equipment as well as supporting the physical plant infrastructure at CHARA Array, including the maintenance and upgrade of existing facilities such as telescopes, enclosures, and support buildings. This position requires year-round work with tools, outdoors, in the mountain-top environment of the Mount Wilson Observatory north of Los Angeles, California. The job schedule involves rotating weekend duty, occasional holidays and during emergencies.
Applicants should have the following basic qualifications:
1) experience in repair of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment;
2) experience with telescopes (helpful but not required);
3) possess a valid license to drive in the state of California with
the ability to drive light and medium-sized trucks;
4) be physically fit and able to lift heavy items;
5) possess a good credit rating;
6) the ability to work independently and in collaborative efforts.
Applications should include:
1) resume or job history;
2) statement about any special skills or accomplishments;
3) contact information for at least three references.
Questions regarding the position can be addressed to Craig Woods (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications received by June 27, 2021, will receive full consideration. An offer of employment will be conditional on background verification, a credit history, and a California driving records check.
Please apply online for this position:
Step 1: GSU Job Website: https://employment.gsu.edu/
Step 2: Select "External Applicants"
Step 3: Enter job number 21000575: "Mechanical Engineer I"
Step 4: Click Apply Online (if a new user, create a username and password)
Step 5: Complete the entire application and upload all requested documentation to the online application.