Ventspils University of Applied Sciences (Reg. Nr. 90000362426, address: Inženieru street 101, Ventspils) solicits applications for the position of ERA Chair Holder - Strategic Counsellor (ERA Chair Holder) for Ventspils International Radio Astronomy Center.
The prime responsibility of the ERA Chair holder is implementation of the project LATSPACE 18.104.22.168/18/A/019. This is a fixed term appointment for no longer than the duration of the project - until November 30, 2023 (5 years).
ERA Chair holder will be engaged for the duration of the project LATSPACE 22.214.171.124/18/A/019 (5 years) as a Strategic Counsellor at Ventspils International Radio Astronomy Centre (VIRAC) of Ventspils University of Applied Sciences (VUAS), Latvia. As such, ERA Chair holder will lead her/his own research group. The main task ERA Chair holder and the group is development of VIRAC roadmap aimed at achieving the LATSPACE project goals, attaining required institutional changes and developing structural measures for effective and efficient use of the resources (personnel, infrastructure, financing) available at VIRAC. This ERA Chair holder will act toward attracting public financing from the EU, national and private funding sources; to ensure stable and predictable flow of projects, and to enable full exploitation of the VIRAC’s research infrastructure. The goal of the Strategic Counsellor activity is to work out a multi-level organisational structure, involving departments, laboratories, research and engineering groups and enabling VIRAC to achieve the highest efficiency of research and engineering projects’ implementation.
For the duration of the project, ERA Chair holder will work within the legal framework of the Constitution of VUAS and the Statutes (Regulation) of VIRAC, providing advice to VIRAC’s decision-making bodies (the Scientific Council and the Director). He/she, in consultation with the Project Management Board (PMB) and, will be entitled to hire four experts required for implementation of the project who will be supported from the project’s budget. These hires will be subject of approval by the PMB. Willingness to collaborate with members of other groups at VUAS and its external partners is expected of the ERA Chair holder.
VUAS will provide administrative aid and funding for the development of a VIRAC roadmap. It is expected that ERA Chair holder will facilitate her/his team and collaborate with other VIRAC staff members in particular in working out applications for external research grants. It is expected that the
ERA Chair holder, together with VIRAC director will be co-responsible for dissemination of the results and public outreach.
ERA Chair holder will become a member of the VIRAC director’s advisory board.
The successful candidate will be given:
- fixed term contract until November 30, 2023 (according to the project LATSPACE 126.96.36.199/18/A/019, funded by ERAF);
- a competitive salary at the level comparable to that of senior faculty of a leading EU university up to 10 000 EUR monthly on average (salary consists of fixed part, variable part based on project results, relocation bonus, e.t.c., all negotiable);
A successful candidate:
- holds a PhD degree or equivalent in physics, astronomy, electronics, radio or other relevant engineering areas for no less than ten years;
- fulfils conditions specified in the European Framework for Research Careers for Established researcher no less than at the (R3) I level, including:
- a proven international research experience,
- an international reputation based on research excellence,
- a proven record in securing research funding and experience in managing and leading a research group for no less than ten years;
- experience in international cooperation;
- at least ten-year experience in science and/or technology management;
- fluent written and oral communication skills in English;
Applications including a detailed curriculum vitae, brief description of current research and other activities, accomplishments and representative publications should be sent directly to the VUAS Personnel Department - email@example.com. All documents should be in English language. Applications received no later than May 31, 2019 will receive full consideration. Preliminary review of applications will be completed by 15 June 2019. In the second stage of the recruitment procedure, planned for the period June 20st to July 5th, 2019, several short-listed candidates will be invited to VUAS for interview, including an oral presentation on the research topic of the candidate’s choice and outlook for the position ERA Chair holder activities. A contract offer to the selected candidate is expected to be offered by July 1st to 5th, 2019.
VUAS is committed to employment equality (esp. European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers) and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates fulfilling requirements specified in this announcement.