The Department of Physics and Astronomy at California State University, Sacramento is seeking a new faculty member in the area of astronomy/astrophysics whose research complements that of the current faculty members at a high quality baccalaureate program that values student research. Duties for the successful applicant will include teaching introductory and upper-division physics lecture and laboratory courses, teaching astronomy courses for physics majors as well as general education students, serving as an academic advisor for physics majors, involving undergraduate students in research projects, and developing departmental facilities and programs in physics. The appointee will also be expected to pursue scholarly activity including seeking external funding, and to perform service to the Institution and Community.
- Education: Ph.D. in physics, astrophysics or closely related field required, must be completed by August 1, 2020.
- Experience: Graduate coursework and research experience in astronomy and/or astrophysics.
- Special Knowledge and Abilities: 1) A strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate level (i.e. major level, service, and general education) is required; 2) Candidate must demonstrate the potential to successfully develop an independent research program; 3) Candidate must demonstrate the potential to mentor undergraduate student research projects; 3) Candidate must demonstrate a commitment and potential to work with a diverse student body.
- Prior teaching experience at the undergraduate level is highly desirable.
- A desire to contribute to the development of upper-division general education coursework.
- Willingness to work with colleagues to assess and implement strategies for student success in introductory courses.
- Ability to utilize technology or other innovative strategies to improve access to high demand courses.
- An interest in developing new pedagogies, courses and outreach activities incorporating the new Planetarium.
This is tenure-track position and will be at the Assistant Professor level. Salary is dependent upon qualifications and professional experience.
Application Review and Procedures
To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by December 11, 2019; position open until filled.
Applications are only accepted through the Sacramento State jobs website located at http://csus.peopleadmin.com/postings/4644. External applicants can apply by clicking on the Faculty, Staff and Management Opportunities for Employees link. Internal applicants can apply by logging on My Sac State. Note: Complete instructions for applying electronically are found at the link labeled "Instructions"
Candidates must include the following attachments with the application: 1) letter of application; 2) curriculum vitae; 3) unofficial copies of transcripts of all college work (official copies will be required of those invited for an interview); 3) a statement outlining the applicant's approach to teaching; 4) a statement outlining the applicant’s plans for their scholarly activity, including how they will involve undergraduate students; 5) a statement outlining the applicant’s experience and/or ability to work with diverse students and colleagues, and contribute to a diverse academic environment; 6) Contact information of at least 3 references who will speak to the applicant’s professional qualifications.
Only complete applications will be considered.