Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
IPAC, part of the Physics, Math, and Astronomy Division at Caltech, provides science operations, user support, data and archive services, and scientific vision to maximize discovery with observatories both in space and on the ground. IPAC invites applications to the science staff from highly qualified individuals for one or more full-time positions, at the junior and senior scientist levels, to work with the Roman team at IPAC.
The Roman Space Telescope is a NASA observatory designed to address key questions in the areas of dark energy, exoplanets and infrared astrophysics. It is slated for launch in the mid-2020’s. The Roman Science Support Center (SSC) at IPAC is a part of the Roman Ground Data System, providing algorithm and software development and data processing for the Exoplanet Microlensing, High Latitude Spectroscopy and the Supernova Spectroscopy surveys. In addition, the SSC will support the operations of the Coronagraph Instrument, manage the Roman general and guest investigator proposal solicitations, and provide community support for exoplanet and wide-field spectroscopy science with Roman.
For more details, see: https://roman.ipac.caltech.edu
- Develop and test algorithms for wide-field, near-infrared spectroscopy and calibration.
- Set and interpret requirements for pipeline modules.
- Work with software developers to implement and test pipeline modules.
- Write documentation for the pipeline and for the user community.
- Participate in meetings (virtual and in-person) with the Roman team.
- Conduct independent research.
Skills and Qualifications
- PhD degree in astrophysics or a closely related field. Applicants for the junior level position should have 1-2 years of related experience and at least five years’ experience beyond the PhD is required for the senior level position.
- Experience with infrared and optical spectroscopy, including at least one of the following: analysis of emission line galaxies; calibration and reduction of spectroscopic data; simulation of spectroscopic survey data. Applicants for the senior level position should also have experience with slitless and/or multi-slit spectroscopic data from space-based platforms.
- Ability to work in an active team environment, including good written and verbal communication skills.
People choose to work at IPAC for many reasons, and the casual, employee-centric culture often leads to fulfilling, long-term careers and lasting relationships. Caltech’s benefits program offers a quality, competitive benefits package that is affordable for you and the Institute. The program provides a strong base of coverage for you and your dependents, and the ability to choose the plan and the level of coverage that best meet your needs. We also offer a 403(b) defined contribution plan to eligible staff as well as a Voluntary Retirement Savings (TDA) Plan. IPAC staff have access to the Institute’s facilities, including the athletic center, libraries, on-site daycare, professional development and enrichment classes, and Athenaeum club membership.
- Full resume
- Cover letter
- List of three professional references
Application will be accepted via the Caltech website only until June 18, 2021. Click here for the junior level position and here for the senior position. Preferred start is date is September 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Click here to read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caltech Recruiting at firstname.lastname@example.org.