Technical Project Manager - 93875
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL) Engineering Division has an opening for a Technical Project Manager to join the team.
In this role as a team leader, you will support CMB-S4 (www.cmb-s4.org), a next-generation cosmic microwave background experiment, in the LBNL Physics Division. Applicants must have a proven record of accomplishment in successfully developing and managing scientific engineering projects. The Lead Engineer/Control Account Manager will be part of a dedicated project team developing telescopes which will enable dramatic leaps forward in our understanding of the fundamental nature of space and time and the evolution of the Universe. The successful applicant will lead engineering teams (with possible line management responsibilities) and will be responsible for detailed planning and execution of telescope and cryostat construction as Control Account Manager of the CMB-S4 Small Aperture Telescope subsystem. As a key member of a large and distributed collaboration you will be expected to effectively interact with and potentially manage personnel at other institutions. You will develop technical design documents, engineering schedules and cost estimates and will have project management responsibilities as a Control Account Manager.
The successful applicants will be hired into the LBNL Engineering Division and matrixed to the LBNL Physics division. CMB-S4 is a combined National Science Foundation/Department of Energy (NSF/DOE) project to build more than 20 radio telescopes at the South Pole and in Chile incorporating highly sensitive superconducting cameras with sub-Kelvin detectors.
What You Will Do:
- Manage a cross-functional and geographically dispersed project team including engineers and scientists, manage day-to-day operations, and serve as the primary engineering point of contact for the Small Aperture Telescope subsystem.
- Manage engineering, procurement, fabrication, construction, assembly, validation, verification, characterization, installation, and commissioning efforts subject to defined technical requirements and interface definitions.
- Apply project management best practices in developing, managing, and reporting on progress, budget, and schedule, including application of earned value management systems (EVMS).
- Work closely with project procurement teams on acquisition planning and effective execution of procurements.
- Clearly communicate project status, issues, and successes to project teams and senior management, including regular reporting at project-level meetings.
- Coordinate presentations for and hold various regular meetings with technical and management teams.
- Oversee preparations for technical and programmatic reviews.
- Coordinate with EHS and management on work safety, and ensure that work performed by the teams follow safe work practices.
- Recruit, hire, organize, and manage staff.
- Manage space, equipment, and facilities utilized for construction effort.
- Represent the Laboratory to the outside world in engineering through, for example, participation in design reviews, workshops and conferences.
- Author or contribute to conference presentations and publications.
What is Required:
- Advanced degree in Engineering, Physics, or related field or overall equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of relevant experience or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Technical leadership and project management experience overseeing scientific construction efforts by multi-discipline teams, preferably including DOE Order 413.3b.
- Experience managing work under the Earned Value Management System (EVMS).
- Sound engineering judgment and decision-making in a broad range of technical areas.
- Strong written and verbal technical communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions and help scientists and engineers in defining goals and implementing activities to realize the goals.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective engineering direction and judgment for developmental work and to creatively resolve complex technical problems.
- Ability to interface and work within a large diverse team and help manage technical activities at other institutions.
- Organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to make accurate manpower, time and cost estimates for completion of projects.
- Well versed in CAD and other engineering tools.
- A strong engineering background in fields related to telescope or vacuum cryostat designs and related systems engineering is desired.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program, Berkeley Lab strongly recommends that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of Physical Presence at a Berkeley Lab Location, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.