Title: Director, AGU Journals
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What the Director, AGU Journals does
AGU’s newest journal, AGU Advances, is scheduled to launch in early 2019. The launch will be an important element of AGU’s centennial. AGU Advances will be an open-access journal that publishes high-impact, novel, and timely scientific research advances across all Earth and space science and related interdisciplinary topics. Many of the published articles will be accompanied Commentaries, explaining the significance of the research to a broader audience.
The Director, AGU Journals, will help edit, coordinate and manage commentary content in AGU Advances, as well as across the portfolio, and help with overall editorial operations for this journal and AGU’s other journals in collaboration with other staff and the editors. Similar efforts will extend across the other AGU journals to the extent possible. The Director will work in close liaison with the journal’s editors and with AGU Publications staff, AGU Public Information Office, and Eos.org staff. The incumbent will also work with AGU and Wiley marketing staff to promote the journal more broadly and support the editors in soliciting quality submissions and other outreach work.
As a senior member of the team, the Director will also be expected to contribute more broadly to the operations and activities of the Publications department and its cross-cutting work with other AGU departments. One key aspect will be in working with the editors to facilitate transfers across the journals. The position requires broad knowledge of the Earth and space sciences, strong managing, writing, and editing skills, and familiarity with the scholarly publishing industry.
- Plays a central role in the launch of the new journal, publicity and outreach.
- Establishes procedures and workflow for highlighting content in appropriate ways.
- Works with Editors of AGU Advances on coordinating, editing, and preparing for enhancements on published articles including Commentaries, and Editors’ Highlights.
- Coordinates and works with other AGU staff on marketing and social media efforts related to AGU Advances.
- Analyzes and interprets data on AGU Advances articles and their enhancements to assess their impact.
- Works with the editors of all AGU journals and staff to facilitate editorial operations including transfers of papers.
- Prepares reports or presentations from this information as appropriate.
- Supports other members of Publications team in the promotion of content from AGU’s other 20 journals and books program.
- Keeps abreast of publishing market conditions, trends, and needs through interaction with industry professionals.
- Other duties as assigned.
What the Director, AGU Journals brings to the team
- 10+ years of publishing experience with Bachelor’s degree; 8+ years with Master’s degree in earth and space sciences or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ph.D. in the Earth and space sciences with a minimum of two-year additional experience as a post-doctoral appointment or other work in science writing, publishing, or editing is highly desired.
- Experience in science writing or editing.
- Experience with websites.
- Broad knowledge of across the Earth and space sciences; specific expertise in a particular field is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills; strong editing and writing skills.
- Ability to translate technical science to a general audience.
- Organized and a strong eye for detail.
- Knowledge of Excel and familiarity with Web analytics.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including volunteer leaders.
- Ability to perform responsibilities independently in a high-quality manner.
- Understanding of AGU's organizational culture of honesty, transparency in operations and trust.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills is a must.
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to travel.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.