Postdoctoral Fellowships in observational cosmology on the Zwicky Transient Factory

Submission Information
Publish Date: 
Wednesday, October 5, 2022
Archive Date: 
Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Job Summary
Job Category: 
Post-doctoral Positions and Fellowships
Institution Classification/Type: 
Research Laboratory
Institution/Company: 
CNRS/IN2P3
Department Name: 
CPPM
City: 
Marseille
State/Province: 
Provence
Zip/Postal: 
13009
Country: 
France
Announcement
Job Announcement Text: 

The CPPM is offering a two to three-year post-doctoral position in observational cosmology to work on the Zwicky Transient Facility (ZTF) dataset.

With its 47 square degree field of view camera, ZTF observes the northern hemisphere in three bands daily. Since mid-2018 it discovers, follows and types ~1000 type Ia supernovae per year at z<0.1. This makes ZTF the largest homogeneous, spectroscopically complete, sample to date. This golden sample can unlock unprecedented cosmological tests, such as an independent measurement of H0 and its isotropy, the first direct measurement of fσ8 at z~0 from SNe Ia peculiar velocities, which provides a test of Einstein’s general relativity at cosmological scales. Combined with the current SN samples at higher redshifts, the ZTF supernovae will give the first non marginal constraints on a variable equation of state of Dark Energy. 

The successful applicant shall dedicate ~30% of their time to the general effort of the ZTF-group to help build the SN light curves and extract distances. The remaining 70% will be available to cosmological analyses.

The position is funded by the French Agence nationale de la Recherche (ANR). The CPPM is working within the ZTF-IN2P3 National project which gathers ~30 researchers, postdocs and students. It is also active in LSST and DESI. The successful applicant may have the opportunity to join any of these collaborations. 

The position includes a research allowance, including travel money and access to the CNRS-IN2P3 Computing Center. 

Applicants must have a PhD in cosmology, astrophysics, data science or a related field. Applicants are asked to submit a CV, a research statement, a list of publications and arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent directly to Benjamin Racine and Dominique Fouchez ([email protected], [email protected])

Applications will be reviewed starting on December 1st 2022, and the position will remain open until filled.
The position is expected to begin any time from January to October 2023.

 

 

Pay Compensation
Salary Min: 
$2500.00 (USD)
Salary Max: 
$3500.00 (USD)
Compensation Notes: 
Net Salary, depending on experience
Included Benefits: 

Health insurance benefits, maternity/paternity leave included. 

Application Deadline: 
Thursday, December 1, 2022
Selection Deadline: 
Thursday, December 1, 2022
Current Status of Position: 
Accepting Applicants
Apply to Job
Attention To: 
Benjamin Racine
Institution/Company: 
IN2P3/CNRS
Department Name: 
CPPM
City: 
Marseille
Zip/Postal Code: 
13009
Country: 
France
Inquiries About Job
Attention To: 
B. Racine / D. Fouchez
Subject: 
ZTF postdoc