Fermilab seeks outstanding applicants for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position in cosmic survey science. This position is aimed at exceptional recent PhD recipients with a proven research record from prior experience in observational astrophysics and cosmology. Fermilab is the home institution of the Dark Energy Survey (DES), which is performing world-leading measurements of dark energy and dark matter. In addition, Fermilab is actively involved in the construction of the Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument (DESI) and preparations for the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST). This position provides the opportunity to participate in the development of new projects targeting dark energy, dark matter, and related detector R&D capitalizing on the broad range of scientific, computing, engineering, and technical expertise available at the laboratory.
Position is for a period of up to three (3) years, with the potential for extension considered on a yearly basis thereafter. The position comes with a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
- Publish scientific papers based on the analysis of DES data.
- Pursue the studies of dark energy and dark matter with LSST and/or DESI.
- Present work at scientific conferences, workshops, and reviews.
- Respect, understand, and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abide by and be responsible for performing all activities in accordance with all environmental, health, and safety regulations and practices.
We Are Looking For
- Ph.D. in Physics, Astrophysics, or relevant subject
- Demonstrated ability to carry out independent research
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including presentations to large international scientific collaborations and conferences
Interested candidates should submit via Academic Jobs Online:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Publication List
- Three (3) Reference Letters (to be submitted by the reference writers at the AJO site)
Activity and Work Conditions
Factors: mental concentration, sitting, standing, and tight work schedule
ability to travel by automobile and/or commercial air carrier both domestically and internationally may be required.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.